Tuesday 7 February 2012

Up to Speed




Back into February 2012 now and well into Landscape Assessment and Design project with Benz on Eastern Quarry in Ebbsfleet. I am really inspired by this site and am really looking forward to creating a plan for an innovative city for the future. Having watched Bluewater spring-up and the rest the whole regeneration around here over the past decade or so the area feels quite close to me and it's refreshing to have the chance to play with something that I am beginning to feel that I really understand.
Simon's project is great - looking at East Croydon Station and Paul Hadley has a challenge with the New Thames Estuary Airport. He showed me an intriguing sketch shape yesterday. I think he should read A Week at the Airport by Alain De Botton. It's all to easy to get hung up on the airport design without thinking about the people that pass through it and why? I'm not saying the Paul won't think about the people, it's just that I am people obsessed. By the same Author, The Architecture of Happiness which I have lined up ready to read when I create my new housing typology for the quarry.
Grant is people obsessed. I loved his film he made last week and the fact that everytime he gets a new site, he goes down there and hangs out with the locals in the pub, (Silvertown), and asks them what they want in life. Ralley did this too on her Thameside area and hung out with all the houseboat dwellers for an afternoon! I can't do this with mine, although I'm sure there could be some opinions if I hung around in Swanscombe but don't know where to start. Anyway, if I turn up in a pub, there usually trouble!
I'm sorting Scoping and Issues so far and a bit of re-jigging from the crit last week. Actually, an awful lot of work so I'll be glued here for a few days. Less partying for me from now until the end of June. What can I do? - I have 5 x friends with 50th birthday parties between now and then and I hate to miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment