Tuesday 13 March 2012

Bryophates and Lichens, Post Industrial Quarry Landscapes and CAT, Wales

The bigger picture....seams at CAT quarry
and the detail..sedums amongst the slate
Then we climbed up further to the reservoir - some swam later at night! I refrained but only to maintain some kind of decorum.
Reflections and inspirations

Aberllefenni Mine and Quarry
If Oak trees could talk? Welcome, or leave me in peace, I'm smothered already?

Remnants of workers cottages and a conveyor base at Aberllefenni Slate Quarry or mine....closed in 2003
The air is so clean and moist at the Centre of Alternative Technology , that these tree mosses thrive. Sometimes they throw up spore capsules just like these, that I think may have already exploded. This moss was everywhere amongst the Betula trees, but this is the only one I saw with a form like this and only about 3cm diameter in real life.
I first fell in love with moss in 1990 while living in a dank basement flat in Chislehurst Kent. It always smelt earthy and I loved it!
I have generated so much inspiration for the Eastern Quarry Project, although water, especially with the news today will be a challenge. It has to be all about re-creating forms within the climatic limits and allowing ruderal ecology to predominate.


2 comments:

  1. Nice pics, as for decorum you just need more gin darling!

    Good visit on Monday too, very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd had plenty of Gin, but felt safer with Robert and Benz back at the ranch and we left the youngsters to it! Monday was great too. Might post some of those up, especially the playground. Felt like 4 days on tour for me and unfortunately having to get back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete